Sunday, January 03, 2016

It's winter up there - DAY 1.5

A day of changing tires, and another day of swapping hydraulic lines and adding 2" bar risers leaves the last few days of the epic Xmas shutdown/ vacay with "warm" weather forecast for north GA.  Five hundred miles later, I arrive at the Cleveland, GA, Walmart at 11:30PM and turn in.  It's not a camping trip until you've been to Walmart, so I headed in first thing for some groceries.  
After some phone tagging, I wind up with an appointment to meet the work-camper (Craig) at Jenny's Creek at 9AM.  



Deploy bike, deploy trailer, back into site, hook up shore services, and I'm ready to roll.


My only plans for the day were to stay close to camp and try the knobbies off pavement.  Rt 129N to Turner's Corner to Rt60, on the way to Suches.  I shot some GoPro video, and detoured off to Lake Dockery on gravel.  I'd skipped this detour last time I was here due to time and tires.    
Looping rt180 around to Vogel SP, I went to the spot where I'd taken my water reflecting foliage photos a few months back.  "The" shot, in winter:


And a "then" vs. "now" shot, Fall vs. Winter:


Leaving Vogel, another feature alien to Floridians: a waterfall.  Note the viewing deck in the center right of the pic:


Leaving Vogel, I went back up rt180 to the turn-out for the WMA at 34.763963, -83.952219.
After a quick climb, I was on a summit.  The maps suggested a network of un-pavement ahead, so I aired down and rotated the bars.  I spent awhile at this spot, taking it in, being restored. 


I followed the trail up, down, around, and thru the WMA.  I encountered a pair of bikes and chatted for a minute with the riders before winding up at another "charging station", where I spent another long while trying to become one with nature.



I followed the trail until it ended near Blairsville, GA.  I stopped to eat and manage fluids and doubled back over all the gravel back to the camper, timing the daylight nearly perfectly.  The camper is so luxurious it's ridiculous.  I cooked a hot meal on a stove, fired up the furnace, threw a DVD in, and drifted off.



No comments: