Sunday, July 05, 2015

Roar to the Shore

After my first week of work, I decided to visit Titusville.  Titusville's cheap housing - resulting from NASA sinking the space shuttle - was the original draw for us to FL.  If Zillow is to be believed, houses in Titusville were selling for about a third of what they'd be worth in PA.  

It wouldn't be a horrible commute, but Titusville itself (at least the main drag of it that I saw) was very quiet - and not in a "what a nice, quiet, little town" sort of way, but rather in a "wow, nobody lives here and most of the businesses are boarded up" sort of way.   Early on a Friday afternoon, it felt like a ghost town.

I randomly turned towards NASA signs, and eventually passed thru Port Canaveral, heading south to Cocoa Beach.  I turned left until I ran out of road:



I passed some older bungalows and pictured Maj Anthony Nelson living in one of them with Barbara Eden.  The late 60's seemed almost tangible in this place - as if the unmitigated audacity of the Apollo program was so intense it left a timeless, indelible mark on the place.  I felt a sense of loss for the optimism that must have flourished here a few decades ago. 

No comments: